Daupie's Taco Salad

Tonight I have a meeting potluck. I am making a double taco salad so I can leave some here for the hungry and take some for the ladies at my meeting. I have been making this taco salad since I was 17 years old. Pammy's mom taught me so even though I have tweaked it a bit I have named it in her honor. Pammy's firstborn called her Daupie and it stuck. Love you Daupie!

Daupie's Taco Salad
1 pound lean ground beef or turkey, browned
add chili powders, onion and garlic to your taste (you can cheat with taco seasoning packet but be aware that many combo packet seasonings have msg so I don't ever use them)

You may use fresh onion and garlic or whatever kind you have in your spice pantry both work.

Lettuce - any kind you have or is on sale ( I don't use iceburg but that is a personal preference)

1 or 2 cans of kidney beans, rinsed ( don't stress out if you don't have these but have another bean in your pantry, garbanzo and white beans also are good)

shredded cheese

some chopped green onion

chopped tomatoes

chopped or sliced jicama

olives

Toss all of the above ingredients and anything else you wish (I have added corn and a touch of cilantro if I have it on hand)

I usually use an Italian dressing or Thousand Island to bring it together and then have sour cream on the side. It doesn't need a lot of dressing, just enough to clump it a little bit here and there. If I have a picky crowd I just leave it plain with an assortment of dressings on the side. Russian is also a good choice. I have also just picked something out that sounded good at the store, the El Torito green stuff is good too. In a real pinch you can use Daupie's sissy sauce - mayo and ketchup and sweet relish.

Just before serving crunch some tortilla chips into it.

Comments

Popular Posts