Avocado and Tomato Salad

Mix vegetable oil, white wine vinegar, Pink Himalayan Salt, fresh ground pepper and red pepper sauce in a bowl.
Check your oil carefully to be sure it smells fresh for this recipe. You don't want it to be even slightly rancid. I used white wine vinegar because I only use white vinegar for cleaning purposes not eating. Since I discovered Pink Himalayan Salt about 6 months ago that is all I use for cooking. It is saltier than table salt so use a little less than what is in the recipe. It is a complete salt with the minerals nature provided so I think it is a healthier salt than the purified sodium chloride in table salt. I always use fresh ground pepper for fresh food like a salad. Use whatever red pepper sauce you have on hand. Today I used Garlic Tabasco. Don't leave out the pepper sauce. It doesn't make it spicy or hot, it just gives it a little pop.


Cube your avocado.
Fresh avocado is available year round here in So. California. I used Haas because that is what I had but a smooth skin avocado would have a firmer texture for this recipe. It is easy to cube or slice an avocado. Cut in half, remove stone, slice or cube with table knife, then turn inside out and the avocado usually falls out. If it needs a little help use your knife or fingers.

Place avocado cubes, chopped tomato, crumbled bacon and chopped onion into bowl with oil mixture.
I chose Roma Tomatoes, however any tomato that holds up when you chop it will work. I prefer the thick sliced bacon at the butcher block to the pre-packaged bacon. It is usually sale priced once a month so if you watch for the sales it is a better price and higher meatier bacon. Any kind of onion would work in this salad. I had regular brown onion on hand so that is what I used. Red or Sweet onion would be nice for the flavor combination with the sweet tomato and avocado.

GENTLY mix together and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
My husband liked it even better the next day.

Place your mixture on a bed of greens. We love spinach so that was my choice today.
Enjoy your gluten free versatile salad. We ate it as the main dish the night I made it but had it as a side salad the next day.


Avocado and Tomato Salad
6 slices cooked crisp bacon
3 T. vegetable oil
1 T. white vinegar
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
3 drops red pepper sauce
2 med. avocados, cubed
2 med. tomatoes, cubed
1 small onion, chopped (1/4 c.)
4-6 cups salad greens

Betty Crocker recipe from Tablespoon.com


Comments

Popular Posts